Saturday, January 5, 2013

South Bay Bite


South Bay bite is real.
I took a trip down to the South Bay. I needed something else to do, considering, how much time we have been spending in the chilly waters of the Susiun bay, Honker bay and San Pablo Bay.  
There is nothing more frustrating than looking at sturgeon on the meter that just won’t bite.
  I have been seeing Hinkley’s reports. His reports were good enough for me to take a look down there.  I only saw 2 boats fishing the area all day.
We did have to wait on some current but as soon as it got right……….





As soon as the current picked up and my back buckets started pulling we got bite #1 that turned into a 46 inch (to the fork in the tail) sturgeon .  15-20 minutes later we stuck another fish that was 44” to the fork.  The income was kind of weak and the bite died as soon as it got started. We did have a few other pumpers shortly after our flurry but none of the bites stuck.
  The junk fish in 14 feet of water were non-existent and accept for a few like 3-4 baby leopard sharks nothing else really messed with our bait.
We were loaded down with Ghost shrimp assuming the junk fish were probably going to eat us out of house and home. We also brought some bay herring that Petey caught for me last year. We doused the bay herring with herring oil and herring concentrate and let it sit in its juices all day.
We started off with a ghost shrimp in a blanket. Simply a ghost shrimp ½ wrapped with a herring fillet.  The fish were caught on a herring fillets, plain.
We fished the 14 foot contour line and I’ll even give you some #’s but realize this contour line is 5 miles long and ,quite possibly ,productive the entire length . So don’t get to hung up on the SPOT. Look down the contour in and out until you find something worth fishing on. Anchor up and wait it out. 

3 comments:

  1. Great catch! I’ve never seen a sturgeon fish as big as that. Sturgeon fish can usually reach a length of up to 7-12 feet. You look so proud and I bet you enjoyed eating it. I hope to read more of your adventures soon. :)
    {Melanie Daryl}

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great catch, I wonder how much its weight?
    Fishing charters Oahu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those were nice! Big catch you have there. Me and my husband actually experienced this adventure at the Fishing Charters Vanuatu last year. It was totally fun and exciting! Would love to do that again.

    ReplyDelete