Sunday, August 21, 2011

SALMON HALIBUT AND A THRESHER SHARK 08/18-19/2011

Well I had a chance to get some rest this week. Wednesday was my day to relax. After a dropping josh off to get his wisdom teeth pulled, I was free to work on the boat and get ready for a commercial day and a salmon fishing trip with Moklumne river hatchery guys.
Thursday was an awesome day; I had a guy who has been bugging me to fish commercially for close to 3 months.  His name is Sean a 30 something with a need to be a commercial fisherman.  He’s a financial advisor in the city but had allot of counter time at the Western outdoor shop in San Rafael.  He was pretty persistent in getting the time I promised him. I think he was as surprised ,as I was, when things actually lined up and he was going to get his day with self- made legend John Badger.   
  Sean showed up with glow in the dark sunblock on his cheeks and lunch. Small in stature, but he had a commanding, yet sincere voice. I had no idea what to expect.  Josh and sneaky were there and we welcomed him with the normal sarcasm.
  As the day progressed we had grown a fond respect for Sean. Both Josh and Pete said they like him allot and would fish with him again.
Thanks Sean for coming out and as you can see from Josh and Pete you are welcome anytime. Maybe a payday is in your future or better yet some more adventurous extremely long days in the fish slop with a few pigs hanging on the line.
Thursday’s fishing was epic and of course my cell phone was dead. So I didn’t get any pix. We started the day trolling up the North Bar all the way to the end of it. Flipping it around when we started seeing salmon boats.  Our trolling gear made it down to about 55 foot before we couldn’t hold bottom.  At that point I back-tracked and headed ½ ways down the bar before I pulled the plug on the North Bar. At about 11am I ran over to the South Bar.
  We spent the rest of our day in front of the Cliff House in San Francisco also known as the South Bar.  The tide started and we immediately started hooking fish the first fish was a 10 pound salmon. We fished the rest of the day putting only 5 halibut in the box 5 halibut weighed 67 pounds that’s a 13 pound average and a $400 day not bad.
  The big story about Thursday was the salmon we boated, a ton of salmon, to the point the salmon were a nuisance.

Bill'sThresher shark

My Friday’s trip began with grand stories of so many salmon we couldn’t keep them off, as we fished for halibut.  My hatchery guys were pumped. We arrived to some snappy water, just enough to make my guys sick.  Unfortunately salmon have tails and virtually disappeared. We hooked 2 salmon there in the AM. One was about 15 pounds and the other was an 8 pounder. We got tired of waiting for something to happen and the water was bumpy enough to entertain a change so we ventured out to the sketchy tide bite on the South Side of the Channel Markers. Bill hooked Thresher shark. That fish took a while to get as we circled it enough to make it to dizzy to swim and finally scooped it at the boat. All the boats were sticking around the channel markers and catching a few fish but nothing fantastic. The tide changed and we went back down to the South bar bite. We fished it for a few hours and took off down to Mussel Rock for some smaller but more active fish. We boxed 3 more and called it a day finishing with 2 larger fish and a few smaller ones for 5 salmon.
I’m exhausted and back at work dreaming about next week and hoping it will be another fantastic weekend.


Luckyiest guy everytime. thats good living my friends


No comments:

Post a Comment