Wednesday, April 2, 2014


How to open tray bait at home.

 

By Capt. John Badger
Owner and operator of:
BARBARIAN Sportfishing


U want to be a 10%er you have to start thinking about your trip long before the rest of the 90%.
Opening tray bait is a ritual. 

  Everybody knows that your bait can make you or break you.
Being critical of your bait is a great trait.
Knowing what is important about your bait is even more important.

Here’s what you look for:
·          Is it still vacuum sealed?
·         NO Brown packages
·         NO Broken noses
·         MUST HAVE SCALES!

Now you have a good tray bait to work with?

Getting your bait to look good and stay good for the most amount of time is important.

Getting bait to the hook and on the hook, while maintaining, that fresh bait look is soooo important.
SCALES is THE most important part of this process. My ritual is the way it is because I’m trying to maintain that baits shine.
 If your bait doesn't have scales the fish can’t see your bait. PERIOD!

First select your baits (Herring? Anchovies? )

The trays you are going to use put a hole in the package to release the vacuum.

  DO NOT pull on the plastic. Just poke a hole and leave it alone. Let it thaw a little so you can remove the entire tray from the package without having scales attached to the package

Let them sit while you get your brine solution together.

While your bait is thawing Mix the following:

  1. 2 gallons non chlorinated water
  2. 2 cups NO-IODINE salt
  3. 2 good squirts of Mrs. Stewart’s laundry bluing
  4. 1-2 packages, Dry Nonfat powdered milk (A box has 3 packages)
  5. Stir it up let it sit until your bait is ready to be removed from the package. That’s when the  plastic has let go of your bait.
  6. Add bait.
      I put 5- 6 trays in this cooler and big Bay Herring in the large cooler
Set bait in the shade or frig, if the wife will let you.

DO NOT forget it in the morning.

Happy fishing. 




Saturday, March 29, 2014

Josh "That's my boy"


HALIBUT  2014
  Some of you might be wondering what happened to the BARBARIAN II. I moved from Martinez made it to Berkeley and have been fishing ,once a week for the last three weeks. I have yet to finish with less then 6 halibut. I'm sure we will be into double digit scores as soon as the water gets right. 

 Halibut fishing is by far the best part of my year .  Since 1987 I have had a halibut commercial fishing license.  I have watched and learned, taught and trained allot of others to halibut fish.
  Halibut trolling takes allot of skill. The time on the water with your gear deployed gives you a chance to get the bugs out before you get out on the salmon grounds.  Landing fish and keeping the boat strait are skills only mastered by people who do it all the time.  Halibut trolling gets all of these chores down. It builds your confidence and makes the most important task repetitively simple.
  For those looking to book a charter, you must realize this stuff I’m talking about is my challenge. We want to ensure you get that fish of a life time in the box and to your grill. Having a crew that can get that done is priceless.

I look forward to our 2014 Halibut fishing. I hope some of you are too.