Saturday, September 24, 2011

Halibut, Striper, salmon, Guitar Fish and Hip Surgery:

Gus is pointing at his 2 fish as the others look .
This has been an incredible summer.  The weather was challenging and the fishing was GOOD.
We spent all of the summer outside on the North Bar AKA Potato Patch and the South Bar AKA Seal Rocks and further out to 3 mile line.  Fishing was good enough to keep the business rolling. Consistent scores of 5-15 halibut were common and the price for the halibut was equally satisfying. 
18 pounds of reel man meat
    Commercial fishing for halibut has really been a GOD send for us. My devoted customers seem to always show up but finding new customers this year was tough.   Most are blaming it on the economy.  I can understand that. In times like these it may be better to fill the gas tank in your car then come down to the Bay area and fish.
Tough day but we got it done. Bonita Cove has been renamed Dave's spot. He has caught a 20 pound fish everytime he's been there 3-4 times.
  I have been real reluctant to raise my rates just for that reason.  I want to see people on fish.  I want them to see, feel and understand the fishery.  That being said I have to thank the regular customers from the bottom of my heart for coming down and enjoying a day fishing with me and my crew on the BARBARIAN.
 It may seem a little premature for season ending gratuity but on October 3rd I go in for Hip Replacement Surgery. The intention is to be back in the boat and running when the sturgeon fishing starts to peak in late January or February in 2012.
  YES WE WILL BE BACK!!
You wack'em Petey will stackem.  Paradise, The legendary Bill Pickle
The last 2 weeks we did fair on the butts, providing no less than a halibut per customer.. We worked hard for our fish.  Aggressively, trolling the ledges of Paradise and getting folks out on the ocean. Mostly seal rocks/Ocean Beach. 

Luckiest man alive . The first  of 2 great fish. GUS Rocks!

For some reason the swell on the ocean has made it hard to really get something going. The fish are there and biting hard if the 5-15 foot swells lay down. Recently, the last 2 trips we took the chance and fished those outside areas. The rewards were some bigger halibut.  Most who fish with me know I want big fish. I’ll settle for smaller if they are plentiful but a nice 10-20 pound halibut is thrilling to catch and so pretty on the BBQ.
Until Next year my friends, 
Sincerely,
Captain John Badger owner /operator/fish killing machine

Got to love the Matress-man. We needed that fish!
Guitar fish from Hunters point.  we threw it back because we couldnt figure out a way to clean it.

No comments:

Post a Comment