Sunday, August 5, 2012

Badger's Santa Cruz Getaway , Tuna , Mystery Meat and girls soccer .

Busy life gets cumbersome.  The kids are out of school. Teresa is off for the summer and I am trying to spread out some vacation days to accommodate them all. All that and fishing with my great clients, Saturday’s and Sundays are out because I have to be in the plant working my regular job. . 
  The fishing has been challenging. The bites seem to be good one day and bad the next with consistency lacking.
You really have to stay on the fish. That means fish a few days in a row then take a break.
  For me that puts me on the water for 3-4 days when the tides and currents are at their smallest.
 I’m looking forward to fishing the Marin coast for salmon. Its close and the opportunity to mix up our catch are pretty good.  Combining Salmon and Rock cod is an option.
    I took last week off!  I left the phone at home and took off to Santa Cruz.  I’m writing this on Sunday 8/5/2012.  
My contacts tell me the salmon bite is consistent if you can move around.  If the weather is good and we can run.  The inside shipping lane past N buoy , Duxbury reef and the outer edges of the North and South Bars have been the hot salmon  spots.  Find Finned bait and fish feeding on it is the goal.
 The halibut scene has showed signs of life but the tidal impact has me fishing every other week.
This week 8/8-9-10/2012 is booked. We have some Halibut tides this week (remember tides and currents, 11 day cycle). Call if you want to get out. Check availability chart on the top right.
  

What a fantastic week.
I start by saying I love my family to death. Time with them is worth more than all the money in the world.
Youngest, Justin starts High School Football next week while also playing travel ball (baseball). Josh is Knee deep in an English class he needs for the Maritime academy. My wife is off for the summer. Me... I’m ready to kill some shit without a bunch of people whining in the background.
We got our chance to Rape, Rob and Pillage (as most Barbarians do) on a Big ass Island hopper out of Santa Cruz. The Capt...... Gerry, on a boat called Reel Sport fishing gave us the opportunity to Tuna fish instead of the, planned, Rockfish, Halibut ,Sea bass fishing 3 minutes from the harbor. Big Whooooop right!
Island Hopper seems to be one Wave Bashing SOB. A rough ride and a cabin full of diesel smoke just knocked Josh down for the day.  Justin had a ball cranking on tunas. Josh came out on occasion to stand in the way and Puke over the side. Oh well, I've been teenagered.
We started wack'in tuna 13 miles out.

Temp. Break was so pronounced.
12 tuna into our 20 +1 fish day and while tossing swim bait, I get hammered and shortly pinned to the rail. With 50 pound braid, 25 pound Big game mono top shot and a wild ass fish that, at this point could be anything. Hopes of Blue-Fin were diminished 30minutes in to the battle and 3 different fishermen with the rod. An Opah....

Justin got a great picture.

Santa Cruz was great. Teenager girls soccer all over the warf. My 2 boys were shy but had the periscope up and searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment