Saturday, June 11, 2011

Good Peeps and pretty good striper fishing

We really fished hard on Friday 6/10/11. Dave Hirommoto and friends came out for a day of halibut fishing and were blessed with bass. That may not sound like a healthy trade but the alternative would have been a halibut or 2. Instead we had fun wrestling with some respectable stripers on some light tackle and catching a few halibut.
  Or trip started with some live bait and drifting at the Alameda Rock wall. We made a fish a drift for 5 drifts until I decided to put the troll gear on. I wanted to get some time trolling for the halibut before the wind came up to the predicted 35MPH.
  We were unsuccessful and man did that wind blow. By mid-day the bay chop was rolling and 6 foot bay chop is no fun for anyone. We fought it pretty hard and I commend my crew for staying as long as we did.
  The fruit of our labor was a few missed opportunities and a couple of extra stripers.

  If I had a trophy to give it would be to these guys. I know the wind hurt, I could tell by the speed to which they exited the boat once we hit the dock.  

Thanks for the trip Dave and with some luck, later on this summer we will be outside High 5’n knee deep in Halibut. You, of all people know it can be done.



No comments:

Post a Comment