Saturday, April 2, 2011

We just want to fish:

We just want to fish:

I have talked enough about how important it is to find regular customers.
   These guys are the epitome of regular customers. They will not take no for an answer.
If it rains they have rain gear
If the boats down... find another one.
I have never met a crew that is so intent on fishing. I love it!

  The BARBARIAN is down for its usual maintenance and I want them to get a good look at the Shift actuator and out drive before we venture off in to the big blue.  The boat is over at Bay Ship in Richmond and I don’t see it coming back for a week or two.  However challenging, this maintenance is important. We need reliability.

I told you that this crew wasn’t going to take, “No we can’t go for an answer.” So, I booked our trip with Bob on the Relentless.
  Bob is a great captain. He works hard and knows s the game.  

We launched from Benicia,
9th street
and went, roughly, ¼ mile to the Green buoy. We then looked around for a few minutes and anchored up in the middle of a batch of sturgeon hanging on the ledge in about 50 foot of water.

Armed with fresh uncured Roe, we got the gear out.   I made the guys hold their rods as the current was on the last push ebb.

Andre hooks up first (within the first 20 minutes) Rod in his hand. The sturgeon had him pinned to the rail as the fish worked its way around the boat. As Andre gets the fish close to the boat the 50 pound power pro parted, leaving Andre tired and fishless.
  I took full responsibility for that problem. We caught at least 2 fish on that rod and I should have retied after the last fish. At least check the last 10 foot of line for abrasions.
  SORRY Andre.

In this case we really had nothing to worry about. More fish were going to hit the deck before the day was through.

We had to wait a few hours before the current allowed us to sit strait.
Once we sat straight we literally put on a show. 7 fish hit the deck. 4 of which were keepers
During this time Andre gets his hand on another fish the longest of the day at 64 inches.
Tyrone got his 49 incher and Gregory got a 53 incher and Kerin gets the biggest 62 inch fish I have ever seen.
Gregory finishes the day with a 72 inch oversized fish he caught on his own rod (left handed )


Note: We fished Roe all day. Uncured roe with no cure on it what so ever.  When I am fishing salmon Roe I like to put roe on all of the poles. It enhances the spread. I don’t use spawn sack. I prefer to have the salmon eggs bust off and leave a trail that the fish will follow. 



Yet, another great adventure!

 Thanks Bob for the help. It was a great pleasure to have you accompany us on this trip.  
Andre got his fish after a major loss to start the day

No comments:

Post a Comment