Friday, April 15, 2011

HALIBUT TIME!

          It sure looks like my sturgeon season is done until fall. It doesn’t seem like many folks are interested in parting with their hard earned cash. Diesel is up to $4.50 a gallon and gas is not far behind.
I totally understand. I hit the red diesel pump to fill up the boat and $250 bucks got me 51 gallons. I would have filled up but the card reader would only let me use my card 3 times.
I have no intention of trying to stick you for the price of our pleasure. I will still remain the cheapest 4-5 passenger charter boat in the bay at $125 per fisherman. 
THE HALIBUT ARE HERE!
I’m currently booking halibut trips. Remember Wednesday, Thursday and Friday ONLY
As I stated in an earlier blog, I wanted to get at least 4 fish in 8 hours of fishing before I would open up the book for halibut. We shattered that stat. Yesterday I found some fish over at the Alameda Rock wall. They bit fairly consistent for a few hours on the Flood until peak, then after peak until the water dirtied mid ebb.  
Wednesday:  I fished with Joe Capra (A fish punk to the bone). We started over at Hunters point and spent most of our day from Hunters to the bird cage and saw no real life over on that side of the bay.
  We had to bail out of there and find some better water to fish. We tossed in the gear in 15 foot of water next to the Bay Farm Island hole and immediately hooked a 10 pound fish. In and hr. we caught 2 more, for a total of 3. Nice fish all 3 were 10 pounds.
Thursday: I took Shane (a local kid, one of Joshes friends) we started at 10am flew over to Alameda with the intention of staying there all day long.
  Our first Tack into the current was the best of the day with 4 fish in the box.  We stayed at it and boxed one here, one there for the rest of the day, finishing with 9 halibut and a plugged cooler.
Both Shane and Joe did a great job this weekend.  Joe’s a seasoned vet. I showed him the ropes 10 years ago. It’s nice to walk on the back deck and see the gear fishing just as I showed him 10 years ago.
  Shane on the other hand is a deckie in training. The kid wants to make it work. His feelings are easily understood. When he’s hungry he stops working, when he’s ready to go home, he stops working.  Hell he’s a teenager and doing fine. Trust is worth allot in this business.  I can trust that Shane will work the gear in a manner that is conducive to catching fish. That’s good enough for right now.
The boats running and the fishing is good. It is a great time to give Capt. John a call and get your spring and summer halibut fishing in the book.
Capt. John’s Cell 510-750-4237
Hooked 1 more while counting fish for a total of nine(9)

No comments:

Post a Comment