Saturday, August 11, 2012

Fantastic Halibut Fishing This Week!

Fantastic Halibut Fishing This Week!
  It was a great week for halibut and salmon and I had some great customers lined up for this week’s smaller tide set.  I wanted to make sure we got some halibut. 
The halibut were biting on the last of the flood and most of the ebb. This has been a pattern for years on the South side.
  I found some fair fishing (trolling) at Angel Island on Tuesday. Sneaky Pete and Rod came to help out on a scouting trip. The intention was to find some fish inside if the weather got bad.
We did find 5 halibut at Angel Island. We sold 50 pounds of fish for an afternoon effort. I’m not saying that the fish are biting there all day.  Angel Island has turned into last of the ebb kind of place.
The halibut fishing was excellent and the South bar was kick’n out some slugs. We spent almost every day on the South Bar.
 My attempts to salmon fish only resulted in a few hours in steep wind chop and swells occasionally to 15 feet. This made it hard to take advantage of the good bites outside the gate.  The salmon was an after- thought, post halibut, on two of my trips this week. Both trips ended with a fish in the box and action! We lost some big bruisers. Salmon fishing is like that sometimes you boat them all, sometimes you can’t get one to stick. Allot of that has to do with the angler but the captain has to take the responsibility for most, if not all, of the losses.  
  Most guys don’t go fishing
 allot. I’m generally the one on the boat that does do allot of fishing. It’s up to me to remain calm and direct them to success.  Big waves and a rocky boat puts the guy with the rod in his hand at a major disadvantage.


The only solution is more fishing. God willing we’ll get more practice and land every salmon one day.
It was a good week!
 I’m exhausted but I’m also content knowing we did all we could every day this week.
Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment