Saturday, April 21, 2012

Halibut, Salmon & Sturgeon, OH MY!





The talk:

Seems like everybody wants some butts to bite?

 I have been halibut fishing (Exploratory)Trips and the fish just aren’t there as of 4/20/12. I have been seeing some reports. Oyster point says there getting a few fish. That’s where I got my only fish.  So far this season!

  I hope I’m wrong but the local halibut fishery has taken a pounding and may never recover.

Recent salmon fishing closers and total mismanagement of water stocks  has  taken a toll on our fishery. While halibut were a stable stock in 2008, The numbers of anglers chasing them doubled and local fish, resident fish, the ones that are here year-round were wiped out.  Here we are 2012. The Bay is clean water temperatures fine there’s plenty of bait around and the halibut are no were to be found. PLEASE SOON!

HALIBUT:

I have been trolling for them with large bay herring.  On a strait bait rig. NO DODGER.  As this was my most effective rig last year.  Next time I’ll put the dodgers on and we will see.  I hope some halibut show up. …..For my customer’s sake.

SALMON:

 I can do it! With 18 mile runs to the fish, weather is definitely an issue.  Most guys are chasing small krill fed fish, with a big fish here and there to 15 pounds and few fish at Duxbury.

STURGEON:

Off the HOOK!!!.

I live in Benicia. Ca. the fish are both up and down river. San Pablo has fish but at any minute you could be overcome by crabs. Leaving you bait less. . “Good way to shine your hooks”

Upriver the Mothball fleet and beyond is holding a few slug sturgeon.  On Fri. 4/20 I had a Crew from Brentwood Ca.  that caught an 80 inch oversize fish  a 61 incher and a few shakers.  Not a bad day.      

On 4/21 I had a returning customer. Chris day and grandson, they managed 3 keeper sturgeons of 65inches, 57 inches and 56 inches.

The sturgeons were you find them. I personally have a route. I look at ozol on the way out, then Buoy 2, Horse-shoe, R&R and The Creek. It may take 2 hrs.’ to find sturgeon… but I like sitting on fish .  “ Blind squirrels eventually starve to death.”

Synopsis:

Get ready salmon or

Add another sturgeon to your punch card. I’m ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment